20 August 2006

20 August 2006

To Blog or Not to Blog...

...
But that's not really the question anymore. Today you have to put yourself out there, somewhere, on the 'Net if you want to be taken seriously. So here's my first attempt.

I've been working on my novel, The Changeling Bride, for longer than I want to admit. Far, FAR longer than my fantastic critique partner, Lacey Kaye, whose blog you can read here. But this past April I entered the first 30 pages of my manuscript in the Long Historical division of the Beau Monde's Royal Ascot contest. And then I promptly put the whole thing out of my mind.

Well, until the end of May, when the contest results were due to be announced. I started haunting the Beau Monde's website, wondering about the winners...and then I received a phone call. Not THE call, but a pretty significant call nonetheless. I was a finalist! I wept into the phone, I wept on my husband...suffice it to say, I was pretty darn excited.

The winners were announced at the Beau Monde Soiree at the RWA Nationals (more on that in a future blog), and I placed third. I was so pleased, especially when I learned that my manuscript had been read by Laura Cifelli, one of the editors at Signet. And my husband was so proud, he decided to throw a party for me.

Last night - only a little after the fact - we gathered our friends and family and celebrated. We drank wine and ate chocolate cake. I read the "Legend," so that folks would have some idea of what my book was about. And as you can see, I proudly wore my "Everyone Loves a Regency Girl" t-shirt.

Well, who doesn't?

6 comments:

lacey kaye said...

BLOG!!!! Yay!!!

This is awesome. I'm so happy you're up and running and your party sounds great. Ok, off to link you up on my blog!

Shannon McKelden said...

Congrats again on the contest! That is so awesome and I'm so proud of you for giving it a try and coming out on top! Glad to see the blog, too! You should let the chapter know that you have it so we can haunt it like we do Lacey's. :-)

Shannon

Shannon McKelden said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Erin said...

Ha! We found you! Yay! Now we can cyberstalk you, just as we do our other friends :D

Maura Anderson said...

WOOT - welcome to blogging and what a pretty template too!

I HAVE to update my blog list

Kristian Mercer said...

Thanks for stopping by, guys! Now I definitely have to keep this up-to-date!

 
◄Design by Pocket